Why It Sucks Being An Empath

DISCLAIMER: Probably shouldn’t read this if you don’t believe in spiritualism. I don’t want mocking, trolling, or unnecessarily rude comments. Please be considerate.

SECONDARY DISCLAIMER: This is going to be quite a serious post, and relatively negative, but I’m going to send out another post almost immediately after, so you don’t have to read this one if you don’t want to and skip straight onto the fun one.

For a while now, I’ve started to wonder why people tell me things. I don’t mean things like “oh the sky looks a bit grey”, I mean personal things. Complete strangers will talk to me, open up to me, and tell me stories about their life. For ages, I’ve just assumed it’s because I’m either A) a good listener, or B) a good actress pretending to be a good listener.

I should also mention, I work in the service industry. When people call my office and get through to me, it’s because they have a problem that they want me to rectify.

People will tell me their problem, which is part of my job, and I’ll come up with a way to solve it. 9 times out of 10, this particular problem involves a broken appliance. And people with broken appliances are very upset people.

Now my problem is this; I won’t just listen to their problem. I will internalise their problem, and make it my own. I will understand better than they think, because I physically feel their frustration and sadness, even though I’m only speaking on the phone. This is a very emotionally and mentally draining for me, because, as you can imagine, I deal with hundreds of people like this a day.

And this doesn’t just happen at work. Strangers will talk to me and tell me something that’s happening in their lives, and I will feel their suffering. I will take it as my own. If someone has a secret they’re about to tell me, I’ll already know what it is before they say it. If someone has a cold starting up, I will know before they do.

I didn’t know for ages what this was. After a lot of research, it turns out there’s a type of person called an “empath”.

You all know the word “empathy”. An empath is a type of person who is pretty much the embodiment of empathy.

The definition (thank you, Google) reads thus:

Being an empath is when you are affected by other people’s energies, and have an innate ability to intuitively feel and perceive others. Your life is unconsciously influenced by others’ desires, wishes, thoughts, and moods. Being an empath is much more than being highly sensitive and it’s not just limited to emotions.

It is actually draining, and I end almost every day unable to feel my own emotions because I’m so burdened by the negative energy of the people I’ve spoken to. People tend to use me as a metaphorical “dumping ground” of emotion, telling me their secrets, their stories, and their suffering. People sense that I’m able to take their feelings and ease them away. Unfortunately, it means a lot of emotional turmoil for me.

There are a few sites that I’ve found that help me with this problem, mostly about how to guard myself against negative energy, how to ground myself, and how to “cleanse my chakras” which is essentially wiping the emotional slate clean.

As I’m still learning, I’m not going to pretend I’m a genius on the subject, but I’ll post the sites below if anyone is interested:

What It Means To Be An Empath

Coping Tips

30 Signs of Being an Empath

This is what I'm using as a segue.

This is what I’m using as a segue.

I’ll send out the fun blog post next, for those not interested in spiritualism.

Blessed Be

RK )O(

Advertisements

9 thoughts on “Why It Sucks Being An Empath

1. Anna says:

That is actually a really /terrible/ definition of Empathy.

• Anna says:

If you would like help (and more accurate information), I do have a post series on Empathy and am willing to discuss my own experiences and abilities. https://agloriousbeauty.wordpress.com/category/c-blog-series/so-you-think-you-might-be-an-empath/

• rksummers says:

Hi Anna, I don’t pretend to be an expert, I’m only just learning what it means. I will certainly check out your website, but please be considerate to people like myself who are new to this experience. We’re only human (with a little bit of faery thrown in), after all.
        RK )O(

• Anna says:

I have had to rewrite my comment a few times now because- if I am being quite honest- I am a smidgen offended that your first response was to chastise me as if I attacked or belittled you.

I want to be clear that I never said anything against you. My comments were in no way a judgement towards you or your article. You got your definition from another site, and I pointed out that it was a terrible definition. That’s not criticism of you, but of the person who wrote a terrible definition (and “list of signs”) which you were unfortunate enough to come across.

Being critical or pointing out errors in such a simple manner does not mean being inconsiderate. Nor does it mean instigative or attacking, criticizing, or any number of things which would warrant what I feel is a rather defensive response. It simply means being critical and pointing out an error. And if I made you feel as if even a brief comment about it was in any way an attack on you, then I apologize. It was neither my meaning, nor my intent.

• rksummers says:

Hi Anna, I would also like to apologise. I was hasty in my response. I was in a rush when I read your comment, and was too eager to reply, and as such, came across as too defensive. I seriously misinterpreted your intent.
        As I said, I’ll definitely check out your site for more information on being an empath, hopefully I can gain more insight on this new experience (condition?). I hope we can put this behind us and part on friendly terms 🙂
        RK )O(

• Anna says:

It’s understandable as it’s just something that happens. I’m certainly not opposed to the idea 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. sdf says:

I was recommended this website by my cousin. I’m
    not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my difficulty.

You are incredible! Thanks!

3. Lydia H says:

One trick I use that seems to work is learning the difference between my energy and outside. They feel different.
    Grounding and shielding takes practice.

Liked by 1 person

4. Since Biotin can be a herbal nutritional product you wouldn’t
    expect the supplements to get harmful. It is often a natural nutritional supplement which enables restore hair loss and keep skin and nails looking healthy.

Biotin for hair loss They also contain the mineral silica,
    that’s thought to enhance hair thickness.

In Britain, men were advised to never cut their hair once the moon was full in order to avoid baldness.
    By reducing stress to our body, you are definitely is effective
    in reducing significant baldness.